Monday, June 1, 2009

Scorching!!

I have a question for all you wizard/witch crafters out there. Do most of you use paint or dye to simulate the old, worn brown edges of your papers, books, scrolls, etc.....or do you actually scorch the paper?

I've tried a candle to do this but always end up with my pieces up in flames, no matter how gently and carefully I do this. I have given up the flame approach and now use paints, stains and dyes to get the effect which is OK but not the same. I've tried using my soldering iron but that didn't work and now I'm thinking of using a wood burning tool if I can find one.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tabitha (aka Susan)

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Susan try an incense stick, much easier to control, light it then use it to scorch the paper. You can also use a dark stamping ink or have you could try walnut ink. Hope that helps.

Tabitha Corsica said...

Thanks Debbie...never thought of the incense stick, though Lord knows we have plenty around here. I'll give it a try. I have used drk inks but I'd kind of like to have a "real" scorched look.

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

I think a wood turning tool would be a great idea and had been thinking so myself.
Debbies idea is great and would be much the same thing.
I burn all mine with a lighter but dont like to do it too much because you end up with a sore thumb.
I've tried many ways but nothing ever looks as good.

Crafts From The Stash said...

I am a candle gal with a jug of strong tea/coffee to dip things in if they go out of control. Great idea for the incense stick Debbie xxx
Debie xxx

Tabitha Corsica said...

yep, Debie...I do the strong coffe thing too. (I find it faster than tea...at least the tea I drink..lol) But I like the burnt edge a lot and the incense stick is working so far...but it is slower tha I'd like. I have little patient for these things.

Tabitha

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

I put the lowest flame on the gas hob and singe each side of some documents, but also tend to use an insence stick, cos you get more control. Whichever way I always end up with black fingers too :-) Kate xx