Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Scorching Update!!....

....for those of you interested.... I found the incense stick to work but be far too slow for me...I am hopelessly impatient. The old soldering iron I had for stained glass (something out of my past...don't ask) should have worked but didn't for some reason. I was sure a woodburning tool would do the trick but before I schlepped into town to look for one, I unearthed my son's temperature controlled soldering station he used for circuits boards. Since he is at camp this week, I could experiment without him knowing and losing his mind (anyway...I think I paid for this thing...)

The great thing about this device is that it goes to 480 degrees and has a fine point tip. Well it worked beautifully! No flaming, very good control of the degree of "scorch", no little embers burning just a little too much. Perfect tool. It was inexpensive...$25 I think. But for those who do not have such a tool lying around already, I think the woodburning tools are less....like maybe $10.

The only drawback is that it does take a bit of time to heat up so it is not as instantaneous as a flame. It's best to plan to do a bunch and then turn it off....I'm sure it draws a ton of electricity.

So I'm off to scorch!!! Yay!

Tabitha (aka Susan)

5 comments:

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Hi Susan. Ran out of time to go shopping, tomorrow instead.
I've not had any problems with blogs for a few weeks. I have had various though since i've been blogging and its always something different.
Hope it sorts itself out for you.
Nikki x

Ara said...

I think I have one of those! Yay! I'll have to try it out!! Thanks for the tip -ara

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Just realised i put the wrong comment in this.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to put a wood burning tool to my list of essentials.
Nikki x

Crafts From The Stash said...

Thank you for the info Susan. My hubby has all sorts of goodies like that lying around (well not lying around I sort of borrow LOL)
Debie xxx

MiniKat said...

Very cool! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished minis. :-)