Monday, July 27, 2009

Man plans.....and God laughs...

What can I say of this W/E miniature show and sale except that the highlight was the hotel room and the restaurant my son and I went to Saturday night after the Preview??

The preview on Saturday evening was attended by approximately 15 people (by my son's count of ladies with a white "goody" tote bag). Everyone else wandering around (and also NOT buying, I might add) were members of the sponsoring club. It was a very long 3 hours. The public show on Sunday had more attendees but it was definitely not crowded. I had a lot of traffic because I was next to a lady who sold ribbons, trims, fabric and such. But my sales were nearly non-existent.....oh, there was lots of "ooohing and aaahing" and compliments galore but few open pocketbooks. In the end, I had 3 small sales and, were it not that I won a monetary prize for a judged exhibit (more about that in another post), would not have even covered my table fee. Even the seller with all the trims said it was by far the worst show she has been at and she did not cover her expenses. Apparently that was the case with many, if not all, the vendors.

On top of that, just as the show ended and we were packing up to leave, the skies opened up and it absolutely deluged... What a mess!!

So what's to do? My son says not to throw in the towel (but he's 17...teenagers never know when to quit) just yet but I have to say I am very discouraged. The next opportunity of any worth is not until January. Maybe the economy will pick up by then. In the meanwhile, I got lots of advice and encouragement from other vendors and made a few new friends...so it wasn't a total loss.

And then there was that Grand Prize award.....so I probably shouldn't complain.

Tabitha

10 comments:

Judy C said...

So sorry. I wish it had been better for you. I think sometimes the organizers of shows don't do enough to let people know about the show. Better luck next time I hope. Judy

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Hi Susan. Oh, so sorry your day didn't go too well. I was sad to hear this. This is always my worst fear should i ever do a show.
Keep your spirits up and don't be disheartened.
How about etsy? I know you like the idea of a show but you could always clear your stock there. Its a buzz when your items sell but the down side is the lisitng and photos to sort.
Sending all my best wishes to you and lots of love.
Nikki x

Tabitha Corsica said...

Several longtime miniaturists I met there did suggest Esty or even a website for selling my things. Most said I should get to the big shows in the big cities, like Chigaco or Philly. That entails a lot of traveling fo rme as I live at the bottom of the world. We'll see.

Nik...setting up shop on Esty cannot be anymore time consuming than setting up for a show and standing and smiling nicely for 9 hours.. I will probably investigate an Esty shop.

The very worst part about the w/e was that I had precious little time to shop myself since my son was uncomfortable at the table when I was away. As I said, lots of people vewing and asking questions that he was unsure how to answer. I did manage to snag a few pieces for my soon-to-be built bakery, though.

Debbie said...

Hi Susan, Don't give up... I remember our first show and thought afterwards why did I bother, but it honestly gets better and your meet so many wonderful people. I agree with Nikki why not try Etsy as well. Hugs xxx

Caseymini said...

Susan, don't be discouraged. Your stuff is good. The last show I did was about 5 years ago. The first day I did fine and sold lots. The second day I sold absolutely nothing. It's not you. It's the customers. These days there are a lot of lookie-loos. Do think of jumping on the Etsy bandwagon. Everyone seems to like it. Good luck.

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

What a shame Susan . I have been to a few local shows to me and they are dead , like you say a few people looking but noone wanting to spend unless they think it s a real bargain! I havnt bene to the biggies in London etc that are busier but definatly the smaller ones are dwindling out in popularity, such a shame!
Im sure if you open an Etsy shop yor minis will fly off the shelves!
Kate xx

Tallulah Belle said...

What a shame :-(

it isn't your work at all....too many people just don't' have the money to spend right now.

Keep your chin up and definitely look into an etsy store.

Crafts From The Stash said...

Tabitha, I cant believe I missed this. Do not dispair, I did my first mini show last year and it was a disaster. Not only was it a quiet show but I also listned to some bad advice from another exhibitor and put my prices up. I am needless to say a lot wiser now. But you learn from the experience. Open an Etsy shop, what have you got to loose? I have dusted myself off and how now started apply for some of the bigger shows over her. Who knows?
Good luck and I think your minis are great.
Mini hugs
Debie xxxxxxxxxx

Caseymini said...

Susan, you have a challenge over at my blog. Please come by and see.:-)

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

LOL, I see Casey challenged you, I have one for you too :) Hugs, Marsha