Monday, September 14, 2009

The Joys of "Bug Pins"....

I have been a terrible blogger of late but non-mini things seem to be taking up far too much of my time. I have been trying to keep up with everyone else though and when I read Liberty Bibberty's latest blog entry about draping fabric using the pin and spray method, I had an epiphany.

Bug Pins!

She commented that there were pin holes in the fabric after it dried which needed to be dealt with. Easy with cotton but not so easy with silk or other fine fabric. However, these holes can be eliminated entirely with the use of entomologist's pins instead of regular straight pins.
I have been using them for years, even since a woman I know introduced me to them during a class in mini-doll costuming. I use the finest ones.... 0, 00 or 000. They do not rust, are flexible if you need them to be and supersharp. They never leave little pulls in the fabric and because they are so very thin, there are no holes to be seen! Cool, eh?
I got mine at a museum shop about 10 years ago but, like most things these days, they are available on line from a variety of sources. Here's one:
Just click on "insect pins". Or google for other sources.
Tabitha

6 comments:

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Lol, Susan. I didn't think there was such a thing for pinning insects.
Great idea though, and when i ever eventually make a grunged up bed with tatty covers i will know what to do thanks to Mercedes and your good self!
I love the liberty bibberty blog. She does such beautiful work.
Go and check out a few i have added to my sidebar recently. Found some fab blogs with great things going on!
Nice to see you blogging too you bad blogger you... lol!
Nikki xxx

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I am getting down to the end of my 1,000 insect pins I bought years ago, LOL

Many places that sell dollmaking supplies, also sell them :)

Hugs,
Marsha

Crafts From The Stash said...

Ditto Nikki Tabitha what a good idea. I am still learning and this is a great tip, thank you for sharing.
Debie xxxxxx

DollMum said...

Thanks for the tip - what a great idea. Didn't even realise these existed - naturally assumed that bugs were pinned on with common sewing pins.

George the Miniguy said...

GREAT SUGGESTION! I immediately went to their site and ordered a couple hundred pins. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently working on drapes and curtains for Sara's dollhouse; so the timing of this blog info could not have come at a better time.

Also, welcome to my blog!
George from tallminiguy

Jolie said...

That is a great tip! Thank you so much!